Sunday, January 27, 2013

2 Minute Moment Project #1



This is my first attempt at creating a video.  I used a video of an ignite presentation my students and I gave in August and re-edited it to describe a compelling experience.

How do you make public speaking compelling and interesting?

The video starts out like just another talk at any professional development type conference.  You start out by thinking O.K. here is just another story.  I hope that in the second part of video it becomes more compelling as I talk from the heart about my students experience in Palau last spring.




Once again the subject is public speaking.  I feel that my students should be able to present their ideas in public.  Giving a presentation in class is one thing.  But to have to speak in front of a group of adults and make them listen is something completely different.

Having a real audience and talking about something that you have experienced and care deeply about helps to make the experience more compelling for both the audience and the speakers.

Over the last year my students have given over 25 presentations outside of our classroom and school.  The video here is an example of how we start out early in the school year.  I usually present with them to help them get started and to give them a crutch to lean on.  They know if they struggle I will bail them out, so to speak and help smooth it out.

As the school year progresses the students take over more and more of the presentation.  Eventually all I do is introduce them and wait for the end of the presentation to help them answer questions (those specific to the teaching of the class).  The students answer the questions about the project.

As I stated at the beginning this is the first time I've ever edited video.  My students normally do it.  But, this time I did it all on my own using windows movie maker.  I'm looking forward to our future 2 Minute Moment Projects.  I have some great video that I would like to edit going forward and I feel I can eventually make a compelling video of our project.


No comments:

Post a Comment